Saturday, August 2, 2014

Day to Day Frustrations

August 2, 2014

I was looking forward to a good day today.  I did some heavy house cleaning yesterday, so I planned on a relaxing Saturday.  I sat down with the newspaper and my first cup of coffee.  I first became distressed when I attempted to complete the daily Sudoku puzzle.  I am a fairly  intelligent person and have always loved playing with numbers and prior to my diagnosis of FTD, was employed as an accountant.  So when,  lately, I began having difficulty completing the Sudoku puzzles, I became frustrated, and this morning was no exception... couldn't do it again.  I should take a moment here to mention that with fronto-temporal lobe dementias, the executive functioning of the brain is the first to suffer.  This makes it difficult to reason things through, come up with solutions or to learn new tasks.

My next task related to the newspaper, was programming the DirecTV system to record any shows that are not already set up to record each week.  This usually includes any specials and the daily Pittsburgh Pirates games.  I have been a life-long fan of the Pirates and my husband, who  is originally from Illinois and a Cubs fan, has learned that it's much more enjoyable to be a Pirates fan, so we record all the games to make sure we don't miss them.  When I started going through the schedule, the games were already set to record, which meant my husband had already done it.  I became extremely agitated because I took this to mean that either I had screwed up the recordings last week, or for some other reason, he no longer thought I was capable of doing the job.  Of course, this turned out not to be true.  He was just setting up some auto races to be recorded and went ahead and did the baseball as well.  But, by then, the agitation was settled in too deep to shake it off.

I wasted more than a couple hours stewing about it.  I did, finally, come up with some conclusions that will be interesting to discuss with my therapist next week.  I realized that my greatest accomplishments these days are that I can still take care of the house and am still a pretty excellent cook.  Excuse the bragging on the cooking part, but I am.  But these are pretty mundane tasks and not very intellectually stimulating.  Of course, neither is programming the DVR, but it was something I was used to doing every Saturday morning. I have always used my intellect in the different jobs I have had through the years and, in addition, I was always a creative and talented person.  Used to be, when I would be feeling badly about anything, I would go to my craft room and create something, or paint something.  But, I can't do those things anymore.  I am so very fortunate to have an extremely supportive husband who is usually able to help me during these times when I am giving up on myself.  I ended up doing a couple things around the house that I have been putting off for a couple years which helped almost as much as creating something.  Then I went out on the deck, read part of a book and watched the wildlife.  At least the end result was a relaxing second half of a Saturday.

4 comments:

Trump is the best said...

Hi cindy my name is Barry i am from central pennsylvania. I am going through much of the same symptoms as your story. I know this was written in 2011 and dont know if you are still with us. But it was brought up that i may have ftd but as you said it is frustrating trying to get a diagnosis. If you are still out there i would love to be in contact with you. Thank you and i hope things are well

Cindy Odell said...

I do not accept nor endorse any facility, product or practitioner unless I have personal experience with them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your life with FTD with us. From your posts we can see that we are not alone. It's difficult for those not touched by this to understand. Hell it's difficult for those who have been touched by it to understand. Simple tasks that were rote have become next to impossible? Some days or hours those things return fleetingly. Yesterday my wife and I went to a pool hall to have a beer. I grew up in my Dad's bar playing pool. It was embarrassing how bad I was as I tried to make shots while reasoning the angles... I gave up trying and started just hitting the balls without thinking... I was amazed how good the shots became as I relied on muscle memory instead if reasoning. And that's how it is? Folks say you are fine, nothing is wrong! Snap out of it and quit choosing to be this way! How is it we can muse and write so eloquently about our experience if truly we have dementia? It does not make sense... I understand that... Phoenix

Anonymous said...

They accuse me of being self-centered. If only I would think about others and not myself, if only I would find the right therapist, if only I would get right with God, if only I would do the work to get healed by therapy... If only... if only... if only I would quit doing this ti myself??? Ugghhhg!!! Phoenix