Sunday, July 31, 2016

Ahhh... Ancient Chinese Treatment!

Some people, especially some who have FTD, do not want to use the word "dementia" in the name. I have heard several other words being used, including disease and degeneration. To an extent, they are correct, it is a disease that degenerates the brain which leads to dementia. Dementia is not really a disease, it is a symptom of other diseases.

My choice? Who the he** cares? It is what it is... it does not matter what you call it. Some people resent the word dementia because they do not want to be thought of as demented. I will agree with that, but then again, I don't want to be thought of as a degenerate or diseased either.

It is bad enough that the terminology of FTD did not exist for years. Most of those diagnosed were diagnosed with Pick's Disease. Often times, when people tell me they are not aware of FTD, I ask them if they have heard of Pick's Disease. Many times they have. Many times their reaction is "Whoa, that's a horrible disease!"  Yep... that's FTD! Those diagnosed with FTD w/MND (motor neuron disease) like me are looked at skeptically. I ask if they know what ALS is. Of course they do, same reaction brought on by the mention of Pick's. Well, combine the two. If you are one of those who think that FTD does not exist because you have never heard of it, go ahead and call it Pick's Disease with ALS. Doesn't matter to me, there still is no cure and it is still a terminal disease.

Okay, that's the rant for today. Someone set me off on it yesterday but at least now he believes I have something wrong with me instead of thinking I was making it up. Enough ranting...

I am considering a "new" treatment. It is actually an ancient treatment, but it will be new to my approach to FTD.  Reiki is an ancient Chinese therapy that works on the body's energy. To simplify it, the stronger your body's positive energy, the easier it is for the body to heal itself. Reiki is being accepted more and more by the mainstream medical field. I know of it being practiced in nursing homes and hospitals right in our local area and am sure it is more so across the world. I am meeting a master of Reiki this coming week who is interested in using me as a case study for an extended training program she is taking. Reiki has become more popular as of late, leading to it being bastardized away from the original Chinese methods. The training (I think it is a year long if I remember right.) she is getting is based on the original.

As part of this training program, she must do three case studies and has asked me to be one of them. She was aware of me and my struggle with FTD because she is a mentor for a close friend of mine who also practices Reiki. We had met a couple months ago when she visited my home along with my friend. She amazed me with her knowledge at that time. As far as I know, all the work she does on me will be free to me or at least affordable. I think this is a wonderful opportunity for me and hope it works out that we can do it.

No, I am not hoping this will "cure" my FTD. I am hoping it will lessen the severity of its symptoms. I have heard from one woman who reports that Reiki has improved her balance and walking, including less falls. Anything that improves the quality of life is definitely worth pursuing in my opinion and with this, mine is the only one that counts! I will definitely keep you posted as it goes along.

1 comment:

FTD Doesn't Send Me Flowers said...

I must apologize to the ancient Japanese practitioners of Reiki. I was incorrect about it originally developed by the Chinese... it was the Japanese!