Sunday, July 17, 2016

Negativity Unavoidable Lately

When I realized it was Sunday when I usually write in my blog, my first thought was "How in the world can I blog today, there is nothing good to write about." It sure seems like that this week. Sad because just last week I was blogging about keeping laughter in our lives.

Between the shooting of police officers and people shooting each other, it is almost too much to bear. How in the world can rabble rousers and protesters be encouraged by the shootings of police officers. If they are dead, they can not help any of us, no matter what color. Plus the biggie here... yes, there have been too many police errors lately that have killed men who should not have been. But, a few errors and bad judgments by a handful of policemen should not condemn all police. If some of those shooting each other happened to be nurses, should we condemn all nurses and start picking them off one by one? This is absolutely crazy thinking.

I am so frustrated by all of this I think because I lived through the Martin Luther King era. This man formed peaceful protests and marches. He got the point across that way more than any violence could have. Many people of all colors walked arm and arm and protested together. This peaceful movement brought many positive changes. If he had not been killed, or if someone had truly taken up his mantle, imagine how it could be today? Instead, we have two of his followers riling up the crowds to acts of violence. I just want to pull my hair out and yell at each and every one of them. We must come together in peace!

In all fairness, I will disclose that I know and love many police officers and worry about their safety always. I am also a firm supporter of 2nd amendment rights. Though I, unlike many others, do not feel that if we ban fully automatic weapons that it would destroy those rights. Banning them now, though, is too late. There are too many of them out there and like we accurately say "Take the people's guns and only the criminals will have guns." Okay, that rant is done.

Yes, I do realize that this is probably not the place to be ranting on this subject. I will though be tying it to FTD.

Staying calm and enjoying everything you can is one of the best things you can do for FTD. I remember when I was given my diagnosis. The doctor looked at my husband and me and said "Go, live you life and do all the things you have wished to do." Unfortunately, we have not followed that advice the way I would like. Most of the things on my things to do all involve travel and my husband is not comfortable traveling anywhere beyond our mailbox. Yes, it does frustrate me immensely. There are so many family members I would love to visit before my FTD reaches the point that I cannot. There are many places I would love to see. So many beaches where I would love to sit with a glass of wine, a good book and watch the waves roll in.

We do, though, keep as much laughter in our lives as we can. As I said last week, my husband has always been good with that. I don't want stressful television shows, with the exception of the news. I no longer read books with tense or sad story lines. I try to avoid negative people and people who want to dump their problems on me or make me responsible for those problems. Uh-uh, bye-bye! I have more than enough negativity trying to infiltrate my life as it is. Now though, it is nearly impossible to avoid the stressful situation is our country right now.

I don't remember laughing much the past couple weeks. I know and love many police officers, to them I say "Stay safe and I will be praying!" You know what, I think I would say the same thing to the protesters.

No comments: