Sunday, June 12, 2016

Subgroups of FTD - bvFTD

I haven't written, for quite a while, on just what FTD is and the symptoms and different types.

There are many subgroups of FTD. All are related to the frontal and temporal  lobes of the brain. Not only are there a variety of subgroups but many, if not most, of those diagnosed with FTD have a combination of more than one. I call it alphabet soup. I know I have written previously that my diagnosis is officialy bvFTD with MND.

bvFTD seems to be one of the most common. Don't ask me to back that up with scientific proof. It is just that it comes up a lot. In many cases that I know of, the diagnosis of bvFTD is the first diagnosis and as other symptoms appear, more subgroups are added on. That is true in my case.

bvFTD used to be called Pick's Disease. More people seem to be aware of that name rather than the terminology of FTD. Whatever you call it doesn't matter. It is still devastating.

bvFTD causes changes in behavior and personality. Many who are affected show signs of losing their inhibitions, acting more impulsively, making inappropriate comments and many more. Losing inhibitions could include dressing inappropriately, making inappropriate comments and forgetting all manners that used to come naturally. Examples of the loss of impulse control can include making sudden purchases without thinking it through, such as "Can I afford this?" of "What will I do with this?" Making inappropriate comments is self explanatory. It ruins relationships, both family and friends, as it offends them or makes them uncomfortable to be around the person with FTD.

I skipped right over the loss of impulse control intentionally. To me, it is the most dangerous. It amazes me how often I, and many whom I talk with, grab hot pans out of the oven without remembering potholders, or trying to turnover sizzling bacon with the fingers. It can lead to walking out in front of cars or, if still driving, turning in front of another car because you know you want to be in the store across the street. This is what finally led to me turning in my keys. I was driving by myself, saw a local eatery and decided to pick up some dinner. I saw it, so I swung left into the parking lot. I forgot about checking to see if there were cars coming at me. There were, and many choice words were thrown at me. It truly could have caused a horrible accident.

It also often causes apathy. It takes away your motivation to do things, even every day activities. Some need to be reminded to attend to their hygiene or something as simple as not wearing the same clothes every day.

Tied in the the apathy is the loss of empathy. Someone who was always concerned about everyone else can become the total opposite. They can hear about bad things happening to people and react with a 'so what' attitude. It can also lead to avoiding interaction with people... family, friends, acquaintances and even strangers. It is often this loss of empathy to lead to withdrawing from previously enjoyed activities and being around other people.

One of the biggest changes is dietary. bvFTD can trigger a greatly increased craving for sweets and carbohydrates, binge eating and/or eating a meal very quickly. Obviously, this can lead to weight gain, but also to malnutrition.

One of the main symptoms discussed between doctors and patients is the loss of 'executive functioning' which is often the first visible sign that something is wrong. I explain executive functioning as trying to get your brain to think of more than one thing. Examples can include planning ahead, making decisions, learning new skills or being easily distracted. One of the examples I use is losing the inability to follow a recipe. Following the recipe includes organizing, planning ahead and focusing on more than one thing.

Another visible sign is the speech. You might detect changes in speech patterns, struggling to find correct words and/or struggling to get the words out. Your brain knows what it wants to say, but your mouth just won't cooperate. bvFTD can also cause someone to struggle understanding what other people are saying. It can also lead to forgetfulness. I will often be talking, and half way through the sentence come to an abrupt stop because I cannot remember what I was saying. I won't go into a list of other things that can be forgotten, such as names of people and things, what you normally do and on and on.

I will try to write about more of the subgroups in the next few weeks. Of course, I may not remember.

No comments: