Sunday, June 26, 2016

Grrrrrrrr...

Nothing frustrates me more than to hear those who are caregivers for someone with FTD start to complain about the one they are caring for. This is especially true when I realize that the caregiver has no clue what to expect from someone with FTD. While no two cases of FTD seems to be the same, there are some basics that would be easy to learn about by doing just a tiny bit of research. I cannot imagine being responsible to care for someone with a disease and not reading up on it so I would know what to expect.

Today, I read something where a caregiver was complaining because the person they were caring for didn't do anything, spends too much time in bed and on the couch, won't run errands or make household repairs. People who have FTD tend to sleep and/or rest a lot. It takes an extraordinary amount of energy to exist with this disease. You know that exhausted feeling you get when you had a bad day at work trying to figure out the solution to problems that kept arising? You get home from work feeling like you had just done ten hours of hard physical labor. With FTD, you have this constantly. Remember me talking so often about the loss of executive functioning? That loss comes into play here. Every little task becomes like those problems you needed to resolve at work. A simple task. that we used to do by rote but now must be broken into itty-bitty pieces in order to accomplish anything, exhausts the functioning parts of the brain and easily results in overload. That quick fifteen minute trip to a store is long enough to cause sensory overload that wears out the brain and the body.

I can no longer clean my house in one day. I am lucky if I can clean an entire room in one day. I have to remember where the cleaning supplies are. Now, if they were all in one place, that might help, but that is a story for another day. They I have to try to remember which products to use where. I have to remember not to use window cleaner on the wood furniture or the furniture polish on the window. Yes, I have done both. Remembering how the vacuum cleaner gets turned on and how to vacuum the room while getting around the furniture can be a puzzle. Uh-oh, someone just asked me a question that I must strain my mind to answer, now I have to start figuring out the cleaning puzzle all over again. When I have finished, if I can finish, that one room, I am exhausted... mentally and physically. Hopefully you can grasp how this works. Apparently a lot of caregivers cannot. "Simple" household repairs don't exist anymore. They are now a major task.

I am in bed at night for nearly 12 hours each nigh. I don't sleep all 12 because my brain doesn't turn off very quickly. Hopefully, out of those 12 hours, I can get seven or eight hours of real sleep. I often wake up in the morning feeling more tired than I did when I went to bed. I cannot say for sure, but I suspect some of that may be due to the bizarre dreams I experience since the onset of FTD. I don't often tell people how long I stay in bed at night or I will get very judgmental reactions.

In addition, on a day that I do, or attempt to do, a physical task or something that causes sensory overload, I will need to either take a nap or retreat to my quiet place for a couple hours to recharge.

It can be very "simple" things that trigger my sensory overload or mental exhaustion. It can be walking outside to do something, especially in the yard, because I have to focus on my balance and trying not to fall in addition to the task I went out to do. Even using my cane does not help much on uneven ground. It can be someone stopping by the house or even a phone call. Those things usually involve me trying to fit together the puzzle pieces of what they are talking about and coming up with answers. This is especially true if it involves a stressful or upsetting subject.  I could go on and on with examples.

The bottom line here is that if you look up FTD on the internet, you are going to quickly learn about the loss of executive functioning, the struggle to do simple tasks, the difficulty making decisions, making poor decisions, loss of balance and many, many more. I wonder if someone suddenly became the caretaker of someone with diabetes or cancer, would they not try to read up on how to best care for that person? So why would someone not do that when they are caring for someone with a brain disease.

Perhaps it is just as simple as the people who don't believe we don't have a disease because "You look wonderful." or "You don't look sick at all." Others don't believe there is anything wrong with your brain until you lose your memory.  I get very frustrated, and sometimes angry, when friends, family and acquaintances say things like this because I feel they are thinking I have a mental illness or am a hypochondriac. I don't expect these people to research FTD (though I wish everyone would learn about it) so I can understand how they are reluctant to accept my diagnosis. But for a caregiver? To me this is unforgivable.

Every time I hear or read about a caretaker who has obviously not learned about FTD, I am thankful that I don't have to deal with that ignorance. I am fortunate that my family, and a small handful of friends, care enough that they have learned about the disease. I cannot imagine having to live with someone who has not.

No comments: