Saturday, September 6, 2014

Just Breathe

My daughter and I  used to work in the same office.  When she would see me getting stressed, she would tell me "just breathe."  It usually worked.  First reason is that sometimes when I am stressed I forget to take deep breaths and a deep breath does tend to relax a person.  Second reason, she was letting me know she cared.  The other thing she would do is say "Moo!"  She claims it is impossible to not smile or laugh when someone says that to you.  Try it, it usually works!

This came to mind yesterday when a friend posted one of those poster-type thingees (and, yes, that is the technical term) on Facebook.  It was a quote by someone named Mandy Hale:  "You don't always need a plan.  Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go, and see what happens."

That covers most of my days.  I have read that it is good for FTD patients to try to stay on a schedule.  I try, but something often messes it up... usually me.  My husband is the one who keeps me on track  most days and I call him the keeper of the calendar.  It truly helps to delegate that responsibility to someone you trust as it becomes once less thing to worry or get stressed about.  I am also very fortunate that a lot of the people in my lives understand me enough to accept "noonish" or "2:30ish" as a schedule since, even though they say I should try to stay on a schedule, that just doesn't work for me.

I have always been a "fixer" and have always been the one people are drawn to in order to help them solve problems.  I've been that person since I was a young child...  always the peacemaker in the family too.  After 61 years, I have finally discovered that I don't have to do that.  It's a good thing I realized it since I really don't have the energy needed for that anymore.  I need it all to, not so much heal myself, but help myself cope with the new problems that crop up with my FTD.  Perhaps I will make a sign for the front door, or a t-shirt for myself, saying "no energy leeches wanted!"  Don't be afraid to keep you energy for yourself!

No comments: