Sunday, September 28, 2014

Lumosity!

I did not intend to endorse specific products on this blog, but I am going to make an exception.  I had seen Lumosity advertised on tv and in magazines.  Then, about three weeks ago, it was there on my Facebook page and it offered a free trial.  I tried it a couple times and thought it was interesting and could see how it was exercising different parts of the brain.  After checking the pricing and terms, I let it sit for a few days.  Then they sent me an email offering 20% off all the options of length of commitment.  I went ahead and purchased it for a year.  The cost was around $50.  (One thing to mention, their normal contract automatically renews when the term expires.  However, as soon as you sign up, you can go to "Account Settings" by clicking on your name.  There, you can opt out of the automatic renewal so that you can decide for yourself each time.  That's what I did.)

I started using it every day.  It only takes about 15-20 minutes each day.  Some of the "games" are kind of fun and I can actually tell my brain is being challenged each time.  The "games" progress at your own level.  I have found it very interesting how I am pretty good at some of them, and down right lousy at others, that's how I can tell that they are using different parts of my brain.

I don't believe they are marketing it especially for dementia patients, more for everyone to keep their brains sharp.  However, I really believe it is worthwhile to try.  I actually enjoy it and don't plan on stopping.  I would recommend checking it out for yourself and see if you think it might help you or the person for whom  you are the caretaker.  Exercising can only help the brain in my opinion. Their website is www.lumosity.com

No comments: