Sunday, April 17, 2016

Precious Friends

I have written many times about friendship. Specifically, I have written about how difficult it is for even longtime friends to stick with someone with FTD. It is easy to be a friend when things are good but not so easy when times get tough. How often do you hear "You find out who your friends are." Come to think of it, isn't that even a song?

Notice I said how difficult it is for the friends, not how horrible it is of them. I have/had longtime friends where we have been there for each other through good times, sad times, fun times and difficult times. There is only so much support and help that someone with FTD can provide so the friendship seems to one-sided at times. That can be difficult for some people to bear. I don't like it, but I understand and knowing that they feel that way, I have no desire to hang out with them anyway.

The good news is, there are the other kinds of friends as well. Sometimes, these are the ones that have recently come into our lives so they have only known us as we are now. I have a friend like that! We met about 3 or 4 years ago right around the time I was openly explaining FTD to people around me. Jannett and I got along really well at the craft sessions we attended together. Then one day, the person who usually drove me home was not there, so she offered. We didn't stop talking the entire way home, talking at warp speed and sometimes at the same time. We had so much in common it was scary.

Unfortunately, we both stopped going to the meetings right about the same time for different reasons. Neither one of us followed up with each other to keep in touch. Then, six months or so ago, through the miracle of Facebook, we reconnected. She had posted about a business venture she was involved in. She mentioned that she worked there on Fridays, so the next Friday, I conned my husband into taking me there to see her. It was like we had just seen each other the week before. After lots of hugs, we arranged a lunch together.

Jannett amazes me. She is ten years older than I am, yet is one of the most active people I know. The best thing about her is that she accepts me just as I am. She doesn't care if I stutter or search for words or stumble around when walking. If people think I am drunk, eh, who care? She can also get me to do things I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Last week, we again met for lunch at our favorite place. Earlier that morning, I had seen an email that the women's group from the church we both used to attend regularly was going to meet next week. I had not been to a meeting for many months because I no longer felt comfortable there. It seemed that other members were reluctant to include me in conversations, making me feel like a fifth wheel... totally unnecessary. Plus, I have difficulty being with more than a couple people at a time. That morning, though, I thought "Hmmm... if I could talk Jannett into going with me, maybe I will go." At our lunch, some of the first words she spoke were that she had received a phone call from the president of the group to personally invite her to next week's meeting and suggested that maybe she could try to get me to come as well. So there we were, thinking the same thing! Yes, we are going to the meeting.

Jannett is good for me. I have written how difficult it is for me to get out and do things and to spend time with people. She doesn't let me get away with that. I also wanted to go to a function that I would not go to alone. She didn't hesitate to agree to go with me. We will make it fun... and I need more fun in my life. I am thrilled to have her in my life!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know you +Cindy Odell, but thanks for sharing this. My mother has dementia and I always wonder what it feels like from her side.