Friday, May 20, 2016

AFTD Conference and New Friends

There has been so much chaos going on in my life right now (most of it good chaos) that I have been ignoring my blog. It is probably a good sign because that means things have been pretty good since it is usually frustrations that drive me to write a post.

I spent several weeks preparing for a trip to Minneapolis to attend the AFTD (theAFTD.org) conference this past weekend. I managed to do all the planning and arrangements myself. It took a lot of effort and time, but left me feeling like I can indeed still do some things.

The conference was one of the best experiences I have had in a long, long time. The conference is mainly to educate medical professionals, but for a few years now has been open to those diagnosed with FTD and their caregivers. There were over 40 of us with FTD and it was so enjoyable to actually compare stories and get new information from each other. Many from the online support group I have oftened mentioned here before were there, so I was able to meet them. Now they really are my friends, not just Facebook friends.

I discovered that those of us with FTD can have a blast! Being surrounded by others dealing with the same issues make me totally comfortable. This was because I knew if I said or did something stupid that they would understand and laugh right along with me. I laughed more in those two days than I have in years!

The travel went smoothly. My daughter was with me the entire way. She actually took two flights from her home to mine, then the next day took two more with me to the conference. She dedicated six days to my trip, four of them vacation days from work, and spent four of the six on airplanes. Best daughter ever!!!

I was amazed the entire trip how good her instincts are in being my caregiver. She lives several states away, so has not been a full time caregiver before. She was always right there when I needed her, but she did not "hover" which frustrates me when someone does it. She also became friends with several people at the conference and I'll bet will gladly go with me again next year.

I must tell you about "TSA Cares" which is a service provided by the TSA people. You can look it up online by searching for TSA Cares. They have a phone number that you can call 72 hours before your flights. The agents on the phone take your information and ferret out the problems that may arise during your trip. In both Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, that assistance included an agent meeting us as soon as we entered the airport. Also waiting was a wheelchair and attendant. The agent walked us right through the TSA lines, explaining the entire time what I needed to be doing. I only had to wait for one person to be screened ahead of time.

In Minneapolis, our return flight was early in the morning and we did not have breakfast before we left the hotel. The agent recommended an airport restaurant (and what a delicious choice it was!) and arranged for the wheelchair attendant to take us there, then return 45 minutes later to deliver us to the gate.

For all the horror stories in the news media about TSA, I was amazed by this service and how smoothly everything went. Sometimes our government actually does something right. I even sent a message to my congressman to tell him what a great experience it was. I figure with all the complaints they get about the screening process, it would be nice for him to hear about something good.

I did have a few falls over the few days. Two of them were while trying to deplane, once in the jetway leaving our main flight and the other trying to deplane from the very small commuter flight that finished off our flight. Fortunately with that one, I fell backward and landed with my butt on the step I had just come down. Yes, it was quite amusing and not dangerous at all. The jetway fall could have been serious, but I came away with just sore muscles and a bruised hip.

Our online support group got together the night before the conference at an Irish Pub. It required crossing two busy, 4-lane streets. Crossing from the hotel to the pub, it was dicey. The crossing signal only gives about 20 seconds to cross the wide street. With my shaky balance, it was quite a challenge, but we made it! The interesting thing, and why I go into this story, is that I actually had two small drinks at the pub with dinner. I rarely, rarely drink and when I do, it is only one lightweight drink. After those two drinks, crossing back over the streets to the hotel was easy-peasy. Made it with seconds left over and didn't stumble once. Perhaps that is the secret to dealing with FTD? Wishful thinking, I know, and I wouldn't want to start drinking all the time anyway!

Next year the conference is in Baltimore, only 1 1/2 hours away and I am counting the months. At least I'm not counting the days yet!

No comments: