Sunday, July 23, 2017

Trying To Work It Out

Since being diagnosed with FTD, one of my mantras is "One Thing at a Time." I have talked about it and written about it many times. My usual fallback to explain the principal is baking a cake and how it is no longer just one thing to do, it is broken down into at least a dozen things to do and it can be overwhelming. This week, it came to me that it might be easier for caregivers to understand if I take in backwards.

When the person with FTD lashes out in anger, it is often a result of too much stimulus. This can be noises, questions, lights, trying to do things, on and on. My husband was asking questions of me one day this week. They were simple questions one leading to the next. After four or five questions, I snapped and yelled something like "Figure it out yourself!" If he had just observed that I was getting stressed and/or frustrated and backed off with the next question, it would have been much better. He could wait until later, if possible, to ask more questions. Watch for frowns, squinting eyes or blank stares to see if they are confused or are no longer following what you are saying. I start waving my arms to chase away his words. You know your loved one better than anyone else and are best able to learn the signs from them.

Now, I can even insert my other favorite mantra "It's not that I won't, it's that I can't."  The questions he was asking weren't very difficult ones, but as one led to another, I reached my breaking point. I did not intentionally get frustrated or yell out. It just happened. I ended up feeling upset that I had let him down. I would have liked to be able to help him by answering all the questions, but I reached my limit and could not continue. So, now, I was angry at both of us.

When things like this happen, I think if might help if the caregivers backs down. Don't argue back, just say "Okay" or "I'm sorry" and back away. Once the caregiver steps away from the situation, it is time to look back at what just happened. What caused the overload and how can it be prevented the next time.

What helps with me is, as I said, keep the point short and sweet. Don't build up to it with long sentences setting the scene. Ask the question or make the statement as short and sweet as possible. Also, try to remember that things we used to do before FTD are not necessarily things we can still do. If we don't have the answer you want the first time you ask, drop it.

It is not helpful to ask the same question over and over or by rewording it. Several times over the last two weeks, my husband has asked me to try to remember something that happened 40 years ago. He obviously could not remember so I'm not sure how he thought that I might be able to.  In addition, if I could not remember the first time he asked, what was the likelihood that two days later I would be able to. I got angry around the fourth time, but my reaction was not as bad as in my previous example.

Another trap for caregivers is to keep requesting your loved one to do something. If you ask them to take out the trash or feed the cat, whatever, and they don't respond, wait a bit and calmly ask again. If they resist. Odds are that the cannot do it, even if it is one of the small chores they are usually able to do. It is not always easy for the caregiver to pick up on things throughout the day that are building up in their loved one and leaving them at the point where they just cannot seem to focus on doing anything at all. Again, they may want to (and you certainly would like them to) but they cannot. If you keep forcing the issue, it still won't get done and one or the other of you will reach your breaking point.

The worst part about reaching the point that I cannot go on and lose my patience, it leaves me worn out, usually with a headache and irritable for the rest of the day. I can't do anything like fix a simple dinner or enjoy doing anything at all. From reading comments by caregivers, it seems to be pretty much the same for them.

Now, it probably sounds like I am picking at my husband. I really am not. He takes great care of me and is always ready to jump in and help when I will allow it. When he makes mistakes with me it is that sometimes I seem like my old self for long enough that he forgets. I don't blame him one iota for that. I wish I could be my old self as well. I use so many examples that involve him because he is the one I spend the most time with. Plus, he won't get upset that I use examples with him like my friends and other family might.

We try to do what I am suggesting all caregivers to do. After the fact, when we have both backed off and settled down, we talk about what happened. We discuss how things built up to be too much and what we each could have done differently. I also try to explain what my level of frustration is and how worn out the event has left me.

The best part of these learning experiences is that we always give each other an encouraging hug afterward.

No comments: