Sunday, July 2, 2017

Accentuate the Positive, Eliminate the Negative

I spend a lot of time on my computer every day. I'm guessing at least 2 hours a day. Of course I go through my emails. I also play several games that stimulate my brain. Most are word games because I know how devastated I will be when I can no longer read and/or continue writing. I keep trying math games, but it is sad to watch the decline in the results. It is strange to me that any math problem that involves 7's, defeats me.

The best part of my computer time is the time I spend on the online support groups. There is one group that is strictly for those of us with the disease. We have all become like family in this group and I rely on it tremendously. It truly is a support group, not just a place to feel sorry for ourselves. I truthfully don't know what I would do without it.

I have developed almost a phobia of phone calls. I never pick up the phone to call a friend or all but a small handful of relatives. Because of this, I rely on the computer for much of my communication. It's pretty simple to figure out why. If I type something incorrectly, I can fix it. Spellchecker is my best friend. If I can't think of a word, I can sit here and think of what it was or come up with a different way to say what I wanted to. With phone calls, I don't have the luxury of mulling over my words before I speak them. If I start struggling to speak, it is quickly obvious to the person I am talking to.

There is also the dreaded problem of lacking a filter between brain and mouth. If I think it, I say it. Apparently I did that for several years before being diagnosed without realizing that it was happening. Friends mentioned that to me a few months ago and I was not only shocked, but rather humiliated. They told me that they still joke about some of the things that I used to say and that while some were funny, others were kind of mean. They call it their "Cindy-isms." Now I fear that I have probably offended a lot of people through the last decade or so. Because of this lack of filter, I feel more confident communicating on the computer than I do verbally.

The computer is usually an escape for me and a place to find some good laughs. I always detested Minions but now find all the Minion posts to be very funny. It is also a great place for me to track the growth and life of new members in my group of family and friends. I love watching the kids grow up. Because it is difficult to travel or even visit, I love this part of Facebook!

Okay, you've got the gist. As usual, I have blathered on.  I often use my computer time as incentive to get some things done. Things such as that I cannot go on the computer until I clean the kitchen floor. I impose this on myself because it is the best incentive I have for encouraging myself to do things that are difficult for me or things that I just detest on general principle. Honestly, who like to clean bathrooms?

Now that I have waxed so eloquently (Stop laughing!) about the benefits of my computer time, I come to the negatives. It took me a long time to realize that on many days, I am actually depressed after spending time on the computer. There is just too much negativity out there and I cannot handle it.

During all of last year, most of it was all the political hatred being spewed. Even the spewing by those with similar political believes as me were too extreme. I wish I could say that this ended after the election, but it hasn't. The constant negative comments from both sides, and downright hatred, actually forced me off Facebook for a couple months. I had come to realize how depressed I was feeling and that this was the bulk of the cause. I would go on FB long enough to go to my support groups and that was all. It still amazes me how some of my FB friends can weave a nasty political comment into just about everything that is being talked about. It seems that many people assume that everyone on their friends list have the same political beliefs so that it is okay to disregard and disrespect everyone else.

It isn't just the political nastiness. Often it is the support groups that are open to those of us with FTD as well as their caregivers. Every so often, I must stay away from those groups because of the horribly nasty comments caregivers will make about the person for whom they are caring. I am talking really nasty, heartless and mean. Some of the members seem oblivious to the fact that the group is also open to those with the disease. I am betting that there are groups out there that are strictly for caregivers to vent about the horrible things that those with FTD can do. The life of a caregiver can be dreadful and defeating. I understand that. The hatred and negativity, though, frightens me that this could be my future and end with my caregivers hating me. I don't want that for them.

I just cannot deal with negativity. I fight the negative feelings constantly. The disease of FTD can be depressing enough. I am constantly battling with myself to stay positive. Negative energy is not good for anyone. It is even worse for someone who has battled depression for 25 years. I used to be winning that battle, but since being diagnosed with FTD, it is a different and much more difficult fight.

I have finally learned that some days are just not the right days to be on Facebook. On those days, I need to stay off or shut off the computer totally. I am finally starting to notice when it is depressing me and do one of those as soon as I get the inkling it is .

Today was one of those days. There were some very uplifting things both on Facebook and in my support group that is just for us. There was just wonderful news about things that had been looking so difficult and had finally changed for the better. I was feeling elated and hopeful for them as well as in general. Unfortunately, after leaving the support group, it was a different picture. There were several nasty political" cartoons" on my FB feed. I have trouble calling them cartoons. My image of cartoons should still be watching Bugs Bunny and Yogi Bear on Saturday mornings. Then there were snarky comments by a couple people and more negative memes. I didn't stay on very long at all.

The obvious answer would be to just quit going on Facebook at all, but I don't want to miss the good stuff and the support I have from my friends in the support group. Plus, I am extremely stubborn and refuse to run away from a place where there is good to be found. It's all about weighing the good and the bad. It is also about learning when it is time to back away for a bit. There is no way to change other people's attitudes, but I can do my best to change my own from negative back to positive.

Thank you, Mr. Bing Crosby, for the title of this blog. Now I will be singing the song in my head for a few days. That's a good thing, now I can keep it going with "Latch on to the Affirmative!"


No comments: